Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I'm in Love

With Ecuadorian politics. And I thought I was going to miss US politics while I was gone. There was recently a national election in order to choose asambleistas to rewrite the Ecuadorian constitution. It is mandatory to vote in this country. If you choose not to, you lose your civil rights: you can't get a passport, can't get married, etc. And 2 days before every election, they have what they call "la ley seca," "the dry law," prohibiting the sale and public consumption of alcohol. All political propaganda is also banned during those 48 hours. Why? Because people actually care about politics. They're involved, and people have apparently died from getting into political arguments before elections. The last time someone died because of US politics, Aaron Burr was still toting a pistol. Ok, slight exaggeration. But it's still really cool to see political graffiti all over the city and to see people taking a very active interest. If you wanna know more about the election, I really enjoyed this article. It kinda reminded me of the California state recall.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7020420.stm

No comments: