Monday, December 10, 2007
Reflections of a lonely Athiest
So, it turns out a lot of people in Ecuador are Catholic. And people looooove to ask you what your religion is unpon the first 5 minutes of meeting you. At first, I was afraid to tell people that I didn't believe in God, but now I've gotten pretty good at it. Last night, when one of my students asked me if I was Catholic, his jaw very litterally dropped in surpise when I uttered the phrase "Soy atea." I had another person, a woman in her 40's, say outright "But why? God exists, you just have to open your mind." She meant no offense, and I appreciate the frankness. Nonetheless, it's a lonely business being an athiest in Ecuador.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
be lonely no more darlin... athiest or not, there will always be a spot at my mangoe table for you!
Post a Comment